Returning

Returning
The Gobi Desert

Monday, April 17, 2017

Human Library

On Saturday I was a volunteer at our high school that hosted the Human Library Organization  This was all new to me.  The Human Library is a place where real people are on loan to readers.  Instead of books you have a person.  It's a place where difficult questions are expected, appreciated and answered.  And let me tell you, they were.  It was mind blowing.  Every topic was very sensitive. 
 

This was organized by one of our high school teachers and high school students.  Many of them volunteered that day.  I was so impressed with these students--amazing!!!

Every session was filled with mainly young people, but some older.
Each session had a Mongolian/English interpreter.
I listened in on the genderqueer person and the questions were sensitive and answered very honestly.  I learned they want to be called they or ze. 

All of these people talked about how difficult it is in Mongolia even though it's changing.  But many stigmas still exist especially with older people.

This was by far the saddest story.  She's still being abused by her ex-husband with almost no help from the police and/or the government.  I have contacted IWAM to see if we can get her into a support system.  It's very difficult in Mongolia.  I was so moved that I started to cry.
This lady is a lawyer.

 

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Wow, wow, wow. You weren't kidding when you said the topics were all sensitive! What a fantastic resource and opportunity for those attending. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right!!! Again, it was amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete