Returning

Returning
The Gobi Desert

Monday, August 14, 2023

A Return Visit to Mongolia After Six Years

On Friday, July 7 I left LAX and arrived Sunday, July 9 at the new airport in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia after an absence of six years. Fifteen hour flight, fifteen hour time difference. I was met by my driver, Dawa and my teacher, Boogii and her children, Khuchit and Angela.  Smiles everywhere. Over the next almost four weeks I stayed with both my teachers, Muugii and Boogii and their wonderful families. I also spent some time in my favorite desert, the Gobi.  With so much to share, it's better to show the photos. As I journeyed through Mongolia, I posted many pictures on Facebook so some of these are repeats, and some are new. Please enjoy:)



Photographer: Khuchit

Boogii, Diane and Muugii at her home


Celebrating Naadam Festival


Muugii and Muugii



Getting ready for the big Naadam Horse Race


Eight year old racing today on a 2yr old pony, no saddle


Preparing for the race by singing.


A blessing by owner of Airag, horse's mother's milk.


Inside the owner's ger


I met these twins from Mongolia and we enjoyed sharing our experiences.


Inside one of my favorite art galleries in Ulaanbaatar.


Spent the day with Muugii's family at Terelj National Park


Celebrating women!



White Stupa in the Gobi, the coldest desert in the world.




This is how I like my breakfast!

Demchig Monastery

Mongolian dog called Bankhar helps to keep the wolves at bay!





Falcon, national bird of Mongolia leading us out of the Gobi.


Once again, Dawa driving me around!


Boogii's 40th birthday


A fantastic museum in Ulaanbaatar!


It seems I had to travel 6,000 miles to get the best wax!

My favorite place, Millie's and with Daniel, the owner....
....and the best mocha!!!

Walking the Tuul River in Zaisan


Khuchit


Khuchit and Diane making scrambled eggs!


My favorite monastery, Gandan in UB.


A new place for next time!



Relaxing at Bogd Khan.  


Memories


Saying goodbye to my favorite people and place...until next time:)


Every morning father and son would meet. It seemed so special and what I believe makes Mongolia what it is...family....
until next time.











































No comments:

Post a Comment